Monday, April 15, 2013

Chocolate Milk You Can Live On!

My kids love Chocolate Milk. So, when we started boycotting processed foods, this was one of the first things I had to learn to make from scratch. I have tried a lot of recipes, but this one is my favorite. I have learned a few more things as I go, however and one of those new treasures of knowledge is the goodness of gelatin. Not the green kind with shredded carrots. Or the Orange kind with pineapple...and yet more carrots. But the grass fed, bovine stuff that is packed with vitamins and protein. It can be used to make Jell-O salad, key lime pie, and gummy snacks. But you can do it without the sugar, artificial colors or flavors and add protein and vitamins that can only be found naturally in grass fed beef. I found mine at Azure Standard. Regular gelatin must be dissolved in hot liquids like hot chocolate, and can fortify your soups. There is a variation that is found at Great Lakes Gelatin that dissolves in cold liquids, making it perfect for:

Power Packed Protein Chocolate Milk
4 cups raw milk
3 T cocoa powder
4 T Pure Maple Syrup
3 pastured egg yolks
 And for the adventurous: 2-3 drops orange essential oil
 Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.  
 
Did you know that of  the eight essential amino acids that our bodies use, raw milk contains all of them, making it completely balanced.  It also contains loads of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, good bacteria and healthy fat. You could live on it exclusively. Egg yolks from pastured chickens contain beta carotene, Vitamins A,  D and E, and Omega Fatty Acids. They are a rich dark yellow and make your chocolate creamy dreamy. The gelatin contains amino acids for skin, bone and joint health. Can your chocolate milk do that?

Joined the party at Healthy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Family Table Tuesday Gathering Spot Hearth and Soul  Teach me Tuesday, nomday-monday Whole Foods Wednesday  Wicked Awesome Wed, wildcrafting-wednesday fresh foods Wednesday,real food wed, Tasty Traditions mommy club, Natrual Living LInkup, Simple Lives Thursday Thanks Your Body Thursday Gluten Free Fridays Raw Food Thursdays Foodie Friday
 


17 comments:

  1. Ohh yummy! I may have to try this. How long will it stay good for in the fridge...or do you have to drink it immediately? Also, will regular gelatin work ok? I think I have Great Lakes brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 Kids, so we never have any left! The regular gelatin kinda sinks to the bottom and you have a textural nightmare with kids. If you don't mind that texture then it will still have the same benefits. It is a little less noticeable if you throw in some frozen bananas to thicken it. Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. Mmm, that looks so good! I'll have to try it when we start milking again. We love chocolate milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I just got my first order of great lakes gelatin and have been experimenting with making jello salads using the juice from beets, carrots, and apples. It is so yummy! I love jello salads and am so glad to be able to make them for sunday dinner again. Also, I just read about the raw milk fast. Detoxing with just raw milk for 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is so gull of great ideas! Just added it to the blog I follow so I don't miss any of the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you will continue to find it fun and interesting!

      Delete
  5. I do so appreciate that! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Janine for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grand son loves chocolate milk. I had never thought of making it myself. Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the eggs and gelatin are just for extra nutrients, then? I usually just use the milk, cocoa, and maple syrup and that's it and it works great. Also, I have read in more than one place that you aren't supposed to ingest essential oil (I could be wrong, though - I honestly don't remember).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they both offer a high quality source of protein. There are many brands of essential oils that I would never take internally. DoTERRA are perfectly safe to ingest. They are 100 percent pure and free of synthetics, pesticides and fillers. I use internally everyday and have found great benefit from it. I hope you will spend some more time on my blog and learn about these amazing oils! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Awesome! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    We have a Gluten Free gift basket giveaway this week! One lucky winner will score an awesome basket, just in time for Mothers Day!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe! I never thought of raw milk as a "raw" dish, but it fits! Since I've been eating vegan, I won't be able to try this, but I know that someone at Raw Foods Thursdays will be so excited to learn of your find! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good. I will have to try it even though I don't have the gelatin. I have one question: Why aren't the egg whites included?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, I don't know. I usually add the whole egg to tell the truth. I must have been using up yolks that day from picky kids who only wanted whites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this today and Vincent drank up a whole cup of milk in one sitting. Even with the raw milk it usually takes him all day to drink one cup. It was delicious. I'm gonna try the orange julia next.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...