Sunday, July 28, 2013

Flourless Chocolate Zuchinni Cake

We recently left town on a fun two week road trip. This is no small feat when you have two milk goats, one ornery goat daddy, four rabbits, 12 chickens and a garden on the verge of really producing. But I am lucky to live in a village that was willing to care for things in my absence. In fact, I am pretty sure the buck was fed three times a day or more, which I am sure he did not complain about. For my wonderful neighbors, I took them a loaf of home made zucchini bread, but I have one friend who can not have gluten. I have been thinking all week what I could make her instead. I came up with this cake today. My kids begged me to not add the zucchini, but come on, what else are we going to do with it? Besides, I still spelled it wrong on my last post, so until I can spell it correctly, we will continue to have more zucchini recipes.

Here is the flourless chocolate piece of heaven for my dearest friend who milked goats for me morning and night for two straight weeks. She deserves one a week for the rest of her life...but zucchini won't always be in season.


Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cake

6 eggs (divided)
2/3 cup evaporated cane sugar (divided)
1/2 cup butter
8 oz chocolate. (Use semi sweet for a sweeter cake, dark for a more intense chocolate flavor.)
2 T orange liqueur or 5 drops doTERRA Wild Orange
1 T vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini
  • Melt chocolate and butter together on low heat.
  • Whip 2 eggs and 4 yolks together with 1/3 cup sugar then add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
  • Next, add the zucchini, orange flavor, and vanilla.
  • Take the 4 egg whites that are left and beat them. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to whip about 4 min until they keep their shape, but are not super stiff.


Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. Folding is not my specialty. I like to whip! But resist and be gentle. In the end you will have a chocolate cloud.


Pour it into a buttered 9X13 pan or a spring form if you want to get fancy. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until no longer jiggly in the center

Top it with Wild Orange chocolate frosting
2 T butter
2 T cocoa powder
2 T cream
3 drops doTERRA Wild Orange
1/4 t vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat butter, cocoa, cream, vanilla and orange together. Add the powdered sugar a bit at a time until smooth and creamy. Spread evenly over the cooled cake.


Oh my yum! The texture is like cake, rather than a dense truffle as are most flourless cakes. The orange is perfect and the bits of zucchini give it the perfect bite. We kept telling the kids, "Don't eat it! It has vegetables in it. You will hate it." But they didn't listen. Most of them had seconds.  I am pretty sure I can get my friend to milk for me again if I make her this. After all, what could possibly go better with a tall glass of milk?

 
 
Do you find this "Pinteresting"? Is it likeable? Does it leave you Twitterpated? Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter.

This post is partying with
these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is a less processed sugar that retains some of it's amino acids. I use it in place of white sugar. Any sweetener of your choice could be used here, however.

      Delete
  2. Well, that looks delicious. It must be great having neighbours like yours. How lovely when everyone pitches in and helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good neighbors are priceless and we won the lottery with ours!

      Delete
  3. I've never put essential oils in food. Interesting. Visiting from The Chicken Chick.
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all brands are suitable for it. If yours doesnt taste delicious in water, it is probably not a pure oil and I would not use it internally. DoTERRA tastes great!

      Delete
  4. That looks so good, Janine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used doterra oils and they are wonderful. Putting the wild orange in with brownies sounds so delicious. I bet they would even be good spiced up with a little kick of cayenne pepper~ Although that might be too spicy for your kids. I have a link-up party if you are interested in sharing it further.
    http://www.glutenfreeyummy.com/alive-thrive-thursday-8-1-13/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this looks really good! Ty for sharing this recipe and linking up to Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look amazing & I love orange & chocolate combined!! Thanks so much for linking up to “Tuesdays with a Twist” blog hop!
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely that your neighbours were so helpful - I hope you had a lovely vacation. Your cake sounds delicious and it's great you were able to make it gluten free. I really like the addition of the orange flavouring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks super tasty!
    Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! YOU have been features for Tuesdays with a Twist at Back to the Basics!
    Come on over and link up any new post!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/08/tuesdays-with-twist-18-and-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do have good neighbors! I'm always looking for Zucchini recipes so pinning this to my zucchini board, I'm also featuring you this week at Thursday's Treasures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy! We'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop! http://wp.me/p2urYY-14z

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I'm featuring it this week on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...