Tuesday, November 19, 2013

25 Health Benefits of Cinnamon


Studies show that cinnamon has insulin mimicking properties (source).  Great news for those looking for a natural alternative for diabetes. I always love to hear that there are medical folks out there who understand the science behind our wonderful herbs. "Researchers at the US Dept. of Agriculture’s Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland, studied the effect in various food substances including Cinnamon on blood sugar. They found that a water-soluble polyphenol compound called MHCP which is abundant in Cinnamon synergistically acted with insulin and helped in the better utilization of insulin; so patients diagnosed with type two diabetes use less insulin. To sooth diabetes progression, combine 5 drops of Cinnamon with 5 drops of Cypress and apply to bottoms of feet and over Pancreas". (source)  Insulin properties are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cinnamon.

The health benefits of cinnamon sticks and cinnamon essential oil from dōTERRA are numerous. Here are 25 of them!
 
Lowers Cholesterol
Friendly to the pancreas (regulates blood sugar)
Inhibits Yeast growth
Cancer Prevention (Antioxidant)
Boosts Memory and Cognitive Function
Fights E-Coli (Anti-Parasitic)
Arthritis Relief
Antibacterial
Anti-clotting
Anti-Candida!!!
Natural Food Preservative
Headache and Migraine Relief
Reduces Inflammation
High in Anti-oxidants
Improves Colon Health
Clears out chest congestion
Anti Diarrhea
Eases Aches and Pains
Physical Stimulant
Anti-Depressant
Warming
Anti-Gas
Relieves symptoms of pneumonia


Don't eat the stick! Too much of anything is never a good thing. And high doses of cinnamon could be toxic. If using the oil, one drop will do you. I absolutely love the taste of dōTERRA cinnamon oil. It is a hot tamale on steroids. I love to have a little taste on my tongue occasionally. It warms and makes me happy. And all these other benefits are a side effect of that delicious sweet treat.

**Warning: Ancient Chinese Secret: cinnamon stimulates cramping, so not a great idea for pregnant women until time for labor. 

I had a great visit with a friend of mine recently who is from Venezuela. She grew up using all kinds of home remedies. Eating real food. Living the way our ancestors did. She moved to America in her twenties and adopted an American diet. That has left her discouraged with her health. She is determined to change that however and is migrating back to her roots.

She shared with us yesterday a natural aid to lowering her blood pressure which she has been struggling with lately. And I was amazed at how simple and delicious it was.

Cinnamon "Kool Aid:"
Water

 
 
Take three cinnamon sticks and put them in a pot filled to the top. Turn it on to boil and let it reduce by half. Then fill it to the top again, and allow it to reduce once again. You can stop here for a lighter cinnamon taste. But to make it stronger, boil it down once more. You can drink it hot, or do as she did which was refreshing and lovely. Add a sweetener to taste, pour it over ice and enjoy. I also add a drop of dōTERRA cinnamon essential oil. I loved it. My husband loved it. He said that if he could have that everyday, it might help with his Mt. Dew addiction. Amazingly, he got the cinnamon sticks in the water before bed and asked me to turn it on when I woke up. We shall see if cinnamon also helps with caffeine addiction. Why not?

Resources:
EZine article
PMC
Eat This
Build doTERRA

Do you find this "pinteresting"? Is it likeable? Does it leave you twitterpated? Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. Or join my email group above.
 
*Disclaimer: None of this information has been endorsed by the FDA. The suggestions are not meant to diagnose, treat or cure. Always use your own best judgment and the advice of a trusted medical advisor.

This post is partying with these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

21 comments:

  1. I did not know all of those benefits. I was aware of some of them, but only a small portion. thank you so much! I will be adding this to my daily routine it looks like...
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Freedom Fridays- I knew these facts about cinnamon and sprinkle some on my food almost daily. I believe food is medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following over from Small Footprint Friday... It's wonderful to see this list of health benefits! For just those reasons (well, not *all* of them!) I have some cinnamon every day... especially in my Start Your Day off Right Cafe Latte. Cinnamon really is wonderful! And SO tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janine! Stopping in from Let's Get Real. I've just got to say, "Wow!" I knew cinnamon was good for you, but I had no idea just how good it is. I really need to get more cinnamon into my family's diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cinnamon but had no idea of the benefits! So glad you shared your post on the Thankful HomeAcre Hop!
    - Nancy The Thankful Home Acre Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting! I didn't realize there were so many benefits to cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing the gifts of the earth, isn't it!

      Delete
  7. Make cinnamon water by putting 3-4 sticks of cinnamon in a mason jar, then fill it with either vodka or rum. Put on the lid. Set this on the counter, and shake it daily. In 3-4 weeks, you have yummy cinnamon water. I like to put a few teaspoons in a glass of ice water in the evening. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make cinnamon water by putting 3-4 sticks of cinnamon in a mason jar, then fill it with either vodka or rum. Put on the lid. Set this on the counter, and shake it daily. In 3-4 weeks, you have yummy cinnamon water. I like to put a few teaspoons in a glass of ice water in the evening. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love using cinnamon for so many natural remedies! God gave us so much in nature that promotes healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like cinnamon in certain foods. Does powdered cinnamon have the same type of qualities?
    Thanks for sharing this and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It does, Great added to your food. It is harder to add to a drink, however as it doesn't dissolve.

      Delete
  11. Love all the great information. I am featuring your post at The Gathering Spot this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I guess I need some this virus has me aching. Maybe if your husband knew that his favorite drink has high fructose corn syrup which is contaminated with mercury he would stop. I use to drink a 2 liter bottle of Coke every day until I found this out, no more pop for me. Thanks for sharing on Tuesdays With a Twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Joyce, he is aware of all the junk in it. one day that will outweigh the taste for him...at least we both hope.

      Delete
  13. I love cinnamon and was really pleased when I learned of its health benefits a few years ago. I found your post really interesting and the Cinnamon Kool Aid sounds nice too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...