Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cranberry Sauce Recipe

I have a love/hate relationship with cranberries. I love them with sugar. I hate them without. So, I was very excited to find that this cranberry wassail recipe turned out to my liking. I didn't even add any sugar. I shared some wonderful healing benefits of cinnamon last week. I found a bag of cranberries in my freezer and decided to add this superfood to my cinnamon Kool-Aid recipe to give it a greater anti-oxidant boost. 
 
 
Sugar Free cranberry-cinnamon wassail

Cranberry Orange Cinnamon Wassail
1 Orange,  sliced
6 oz Fresh Cranberries
 


Cook the cinnamon tea down twice. Fill the pot again and add oranges and cranberries. Cook down one more time. Strain and serve hot or over ice. Sweeten as desired.

Here is a list of 10 interesting health benefits of cranberries: (Minus the sugar, of course)
  • Decreased Blood Pressure
  • Lower risk of Urinary Tract Infections
  • Improved Immune Function
  • May reduce risk of heart disease
  • Slows tumor progression
  • Powerful against gum disease
  • Natural Anti-inflammatory
  • Thought to keep candida from adhering to the urinary tract.
  • Reduces free radicals
  • Can balance a highly acidic diet as it is high alkaline.
 
Cranberries and Thanksgiving go hand in hand. Although this recipe does contain sugar, it just wouldn't be turkey without it. So, ditch the can and make this healthier version in ten minutes!

 
Cranberry Sauce (Kick the Can)
12 oz cranberries
Zest of one orange
Juice of one orange
1 cinnamon stick
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 cup sugar or honey
1 pinch ground cloves
1 tsp grass fed beef gelatin


Bring to a boil and cook down 10-15 min. Crush the berries with a potato masher. Remove cinnamon stick. Enjoy.
 


It is sweet at first taste, then suddenly sour.. A wonderful sweet tart- treat to tickle the taste buds.

Happy Thanksgiving 2013. I hope this season your lamp is full of real food, real health, and most importantly is found full of gratitude.

Do you find this "pinteresting"? Is it likeable? Does it leave you twitterpated? Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. Or join my email group above.

*Disclaimer: None of these remedies have been endorsed by the FDA. The suggestions are not meant to diagnose, treat or cure. Always use your own best judgment and the advice of a trusted medical advisor.

This post is partying with these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

14 comments:

  1. I love cranberries! Will definitely be trying that wassail! Thanks for linking up with us again this week for Tips and Tricks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine! Stopping in from Let's Get Real today. I was excited to read what you had to say about cranberries. I really do love their tart flavor especially when mixed with orange. My daughter and I self-medicate with cranberries to keep our urinary tract healthy. (Did I just put that out there for the whole world to read?) Food has amazing healing powers. Thanks for helping to educate us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I wouldn't worry that too many read this. But those who do, may have just been educated by it themselves!!

      Delete
  3. What a great post! Lovely Blog, too! Visiting you from the Hop! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I am a bit behind with Holiday and travel, but do appreciate that.

      Delete
  4. Love cranberry sauce and I can't wait to try your recipe. Your Cranberry Orange Cinnamon Wassail recipe looks delicious too. Thanks for sharing & I'll definitely pin! Vising you from Let's Get Real Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Real food Party and I really like the idea of cranberry wassil. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had any cranberries that weren't from a can. This recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing at Tips and Tricks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth, this is only the second holiday to make my own. These turned out way better than last year's!

      Delete
  7. It's so nice to learn how to make cranberry sauce from scratch after years of canned cranberry sauce at our family dinners. This year will be different! So glad I saw your post on Natural Living Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you did too! Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...