Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Browned Butter and Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats

Makeover your Rice Krispie Treats with real food ingredients!

 
Salted, Browned Butter, Marshmallow Treats

1 batch of coconut sugar marshmallow crème
3 T butter
1/2 tsp sea salt
6-8 cups Rice Krispie type cereal (can also used puffed rice)

Measure the cereal into a large mixing bowl. Put butter in a fry pan and let it melt on medium heat. Once it is melted, keep an eye on it. It will melt to a pretty pail yellow. That is great for popcorn. But for this dessert, we need more! Keep it going for 4-5 minutes until it turns slightly brown and starts to smell like mom's Christmas toffee. Love. That. Smell! Some describe it as nutty. But it doesn't smell like nuts to me. To me, it is Christmas! Pull if off the burner and add the salt.

Now, if you pour the marshmallow crème on it now, it will melt into liquid and be no good on the cereal. Also, if your pour hot, hot liquid on rice cereal, it kinda cooks it and the texture that is left is that of soggy cereal....ewww! Let it cool slightly and add just a dab of the fluffy marshmallow and stir to cool it even more. Add the rest of the crème once you can touch it with your finger.  Then add the rest. It should melt down quite easily as it is not firmed up. Once it is all combined, pour it onto the cereal and give it a mix.



Grease a pan and then pour it in. It is not as sticky as commercial marshmallows, so I suggest popping into the fridge to set up. Then you can pop them out and cut them up. Try not to eat the entire pan in one setting.

 

Do you find this "pinteresting"? Is it likeable?  Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest, Facebook. Or join my email group above.

This post is partying with these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

23 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm stopping by from the Four Seasons Blog Hop. I love this twist on the classic rice krispie treat- it sounds delicious! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks fabulous! I'm pinning them. Haven't made marshmallow recipes but I love how your recipe uses the coconut sugar instead of honey. Might make them a little more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a whole lot cheaper, but I definitely like the taste better than those made with just honey.

      Delete
  3. Your Rice Krispie Treats look fantastic! Thanks for sharing at Four Seasons Blog Hop~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stopping over from Real Food Fridays Link Up. I'm intrigued by your recipe and would love to see how it works with krispie alternatives. Have you experimented? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some puffed rice from whole foods, but have not used it yet. I wanted to make sure it all worked first and not do too much experimenting with expensive cereal. I do think it will work with any type of cereal if it is easier to find a different organic one.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try making this. It sounds delicious. Hate using boughten karo syrup for anything. Thank you for sharing these great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck! the hardest part is waiting. Waiting for the temp to get to 140 and then for it to turn into fluff! And waiting for it all to be done so that you can eat it!

      Delete
  6. My girls would go crazy for these! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Whole Food Fridays. I'm off to pin it now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I know my kids loved them.

      Delete
  7. What a great twist on traditional Rice Krispie treats! I love this variation. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could eat the entire batch.
    http://pastriespumpsandpi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, me too, so I make sure to get them done just before kids come in. they make that impossible.

      Delete
  9. Love this pinning to my DIY board, also pinned the recipe for marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look good. Cool how you can make them so much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Too bad I have sworn off all sugar for 8 weeks. I would like to make these again.

      Delete
  11. These look so incredibly delicious! Can't wait to try them! And thanks for linking up to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Janine! These look like amazing treats! In fact, you're causing a treat craving in me right now. And I'll be honest - while I try to refrain from processed cereals, I do like a good rice crispy treat :)

    Thank you so much for sharing your post with us at Fresh Foods Wednesday! I hope you'll be back this week with more fresh food posts :) xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing at Motivation Monday. Your post is being featured today on Motivation Monday. http://www.alifeinbalance.net/motivation-monday-linky-party-76/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this looks yummy and so much more nutritious than your typical rice krispies (especially can't tolerate the packaged kind). Thanks for sharing, coming from Mommas Meandering Monday. Come visit gurvygreen.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...