Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo



I know that true southerners will probably hang me for blasphemy, but I don't know what else to call this dish. It is chicken, sausage and veggies with Cajun seasoning. There is no okra in mine, even if I am an Okie. Never will be. But you could add the slimy buggers if you wish! Ours is great the way it is and one of my most requested dinners by my kids.

Instead of okra, I use these:

 
Sausage and Chicken "Gumbo"
1 lb chicken diced
1-2 T coconut oil
1 cup each diced carrot, celery, onion, tomato (or a can of diced tomatoes)
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 smoked sausage or kielbasa diced

 
Brown the chicken in the coconut oil over medium/high heat. Sprinkle liberally with Cajun seasoning to taste. For a bit of kick, add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper as well. Lower the temp to medium and add the veggies. Cover and let steam 10-15 minutes until soft. Then add the smoked sausage and return the lid until it is warmed through (about 5 min).

Serve over steamed rice or spaghetti squash. Also great over lentils.

 
So, do you gumbo? What veggies do you add?

Do you find this "pinteresting"? Is it likeable?  Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest, Facebook. Or join my email group above.

This post is partying with these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

12 comments:

  1. So is it the okra that makes it gumbo? I've always wondered. Either way, this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not qualified to say. My husband would only call it gumbo if it has shrimp. But I am not fond of those slimy suckers either. I patterned this off a dish of Campbell's chunky soup. It was called gumbo, so I called mine gumbo too. :0

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the fact that it is shrimp-less, as I cant stand them either. :) Your version looks delicious. Thank you so much for linking this up at the Shine a Spotlight Saturday Link Party on Angels Homestead this week!

    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting, and for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Mmm! I've never gumbo'd before and I can't say I know the official definition of the stuff, but yours looks about perfect to me Janine! I love the veggies and sausage. I do like my prawns but they have to be wild caught and local - something that doesn't happen much now that I'm living inland ;)

    Thank you so much for sharing your post with us at Fresh Foods Wednesday! I hope you'll be back this week with more fresh food posts :) xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby gets down to Louisianna on occasion and he loves those creepy crawly things. I am glad he goes with out me!

      Delete
  4. Hi Janine! I'm stopping in from Let's Get Real today. This is so funny to me. We just had a soup social at our church this weekend and I asked for the one gentlemen's gumbo recipe and it came in this very long email explaining that it is the okra that makes it the gumbo and acts as the thickener. Gumbo or "gumbo" this looks delicious. I bet it is really good with the squash. That is a new idea for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for educating me on that. I kinda suspected it was the gumbo! Now that is laid to rest. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. This looks really good! I'm originally from England, but now live in the Florida panhandle (yep, we've got the icestorm right now!) and have friends in Louisianna who introduced my husband and me to gumbo. Sooooo good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll try it out.

    I found your blog via the Hearth & Soul Hop this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I studied in London for a Semester in 1995. I loved it sooo much. But Florida is definitely sunnier in Winter. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I've never actually made gumbo from scratch but I've eaten it a few times. Yours looks delicious. I've eaten okra and enjoyed it but it's hard to come by in the UK so it's great to see how you substituted for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not made gumbo from scratch before, but maybe we will give this a try. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Greens!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...